Strasbourg is famous for its ancient Christmas market, which takes place since 1570 in the cathedral square, this market is the oldest Christmas market in France. The Christmas market in Strasbourg offers to the visitors a touch of adventure and rich flavors, such as those present in the Bredle market, the “Bredle” are in fact delicious traditional sweets prepared during Advent.
The whole city is lit throughout the Christmas period. The market is very nice especially in the late afternoon, when the city turns on its lights and shop windows shine, decorations adorn the facades, the smells of spices and cinnamon fill the air, and in the churches ringing Christmas carols.
The market is full of products and traditional items, sweets, mulled wine, pancakes, decorations for the tree and the nativity scene. In addition to the traditional stalls, during the Christmas season are organized many events including concerts, entertainment and boat ride for kids in the city. The Christmas market in Strasbourg with 300 stalls spread over 11 sites is one of the largest Christmas markets in Europe.
STRASBOURG CHRISTMAS MARKETS
Dates of the Christmas Market 2016:
25 November – 24 December 2016
Strasbourg hosts – in its historic center – a market made up of about 300 wooden chalets which is spread across 11 different places and squares.
1) The traditional Christmas market in Strasbourg (Christkindelsmärik Strasbourg) takes place in Place Broglie. This market – made up of over 100 chalets – is the most important of the city and takes place at the site of the ancient Christkindelsmärik, the oldest Christmas market in France. There are Christmas decorative items, pottery, tablecloths and napkins, glass jewelery, decorative items and handmade toys, spices for cooking, Alsatian pastry (Kougelhof, strudel, bredle …), cakes, beer, mulled wine.
2) The Christmas market in Cathedral Square (Marché de Noël de la Cathédrale). Scenic Christmas Market on the square of the large Gothic cathedral in Strasbourg.
3) The Village of the country invited (Village du pays invité) in Place Gutenberg. Every year, Strasbourg dedicates this market to a different country, this year will host Belgium.
4) The market of Christmas Delights of Alsace (Le marché des délices de Noël d’Alsace) in place d’Austerlitz. Typical market dedicated to the culinary traditions of Alsace Christmas. You will find the famous wine of Alsace, the foie gras, the bredle, and many other Christmas culinary specialties of the region.
5) The market for small producers of Alsace (Le marché des irréductibles petits producteurs d’Alsace) in Place des Meuniers. This market is organized by small producers from Alsace and dedicated to local products.
6) The market of the Magi (Le marché des Rois mages) in-Place Benjamin Zix.
7) The market of the Carré d’Or (Le marché du Carré d’or) in the Place du Temple Neuf. Christmas Market curated by the merchants of the Carré d’Or.
8) 9) The Christmas market on place du Corbeau and place de la Gare (Les Marchés de Noël place du Corbeau et place de la Gare).
10) The village of sharing (Le Village du partage) in Place Kléber. This market keeps alive an ancient tradition of the inhabitants of Strasbourg to leave gifts under the giant Christmas tree for poor people in the city. Over 80 charities organize this event, the proceeds of which are earmarked for charity. The market takes place around the big Christmas tree (Grand Sapin) in place Kléber.
11) The Children’s Village (Le Village des enfants) in Place Saint Thomas. A true Christmas village entirely conceived and designed to accommodate children and their families during the Christmas season. The Children’s Village offers an entertainment area and a program of entertainment, storytelling and workshops that immerses children in the magical world of fairy tale of Christmas.
Opening Hours: On November 25, from 2 pm to 9 pm. From 26 November to 23 December, From 11 am to 8 pm every day. Nocturne until 9 pm on Fridays and Saturdays. December 24th, from 11am to 6pm.