Linz is called the City of Cribs, in fact in the weeks leading up to Christmas, cribs from all over the world are usually displayed in the streets of the cities.
There are many Christmas events in Linz (Linzer Weihnachtsmärkte), the central square of Linz hosts the Christmas Market, with stands dedicated to local artistic craftsmanship. Near the market square the ancient art of the candle maker is usually presented, the craftsmen make objects with beeswax.
In Linz, in addition to the market that usually takes place in the central square, during the Christmas period there are usually numerous other markets, such as the one called the Fairytale Christmas (Märchenweihnacht) at the Volksgarten or the Market of Creativity and Cookies (Creativ-und Kekserlmarkt) . In the evening, exciting Christmas concerts are usually held in the city’s churches and in the Brucknerhaus.
LINZ CHRISTMAS MARKETS
1) Baby Jesus Market (Christkindlmarkt Hauptplatz Linz). In the Baroque setting of Linz’s Hauptplatz, the Infant Jesus market attracts with local handicrafts, hot punch and delicious gingerbread cookies.
2) Christmas Market (Weihnachtsmarkt Volksgarten Linz). In Linz’s Volksgarten everyone, and not just the little visitors, is enthralled by the fairytale worlds offered by the park. Added to this is a wide range of Christmas gifts and gastronomic delicacies.
3) Winter Market at Pfarrplatz (Wintermarkt am Pfarrplatz Linz). In the parish church square of the city of Linz you can usually find the stalls of this market with craftsmen, artists and farmers presenting their products.
4) Creative Christmas Market (Kreativ Weihnachtsmarkt im Arkadenhof der Landesregierung). Usually under the arcades, in the heart of the historic center of Linz, you can buy artistic handicraft products.
5) Christmas market in the Bischofshof (Adventmarkt im Bischofshof). In this Christmas market which is usually set up in the splendid Bischofshof courtyard in Herrenstraße, you can find well-made artistic handicraft objects, mulled wine, glögg and typical Christmas sweets.