Salzburg is the city of Mozart and music, city of art featuring a beautiful old town – the Altstadt – full of monuments and museums. The Christmas Markets of the Infant Jesus (Christkindlmarkt) are held in Salzburg at the foot of the Hohensalzburg fortress, in Cathedral Square and inResidence Square, in the historic center of the city. The Christmas markets in Salzburg are formed by wooden houses that are home to hundreds of vendors, who have the most diverse products: flowers, Christmas decorations, candles, incense, food, drinks, Christmas delicacies, hot or spicy specialties, punch, mulled wine, textiles, natural products, winter fashion for young and adults, minerals, handicrafts, toys, decorative items, pastries, coffee, jewelery, decorative objects with the entire range of the goldsmith of Salzburg.
SALZBURG CHRISTMAS MARKETS
Dates of the Christmas Market:
Usually end of November – December
1) Christmas market in Salzburg (Salzburger Christkindlmarkt) in Cathedral Square (Domplatz) and Residence Square (Residenzplatz). The tradition and atmosphere of the Christmas market in Salzburg make an ideal setting to start the Christmas season. Every year, visitors are enchanted by the charm of Cathedral Square, with traditional stalls, decorations of light and the quality of items for sale. Among the attractions of the market: traditional crafts, local products, and the ornaments of Christmas. The Christmas market in Salzburg is a feast in every sense: there are representations of traditional choirs of children and school groups.
2) Advent Market in the Courtyard of the Hohensalzburg Fortress (Stimmungsvoller Adventmarkt im Burghof). A charming Advent market usually take place over the rooftops of the city in the courtyard of the Fortress Hohensalzburg. It can be reached on foot or by cable car, which offers a beautiful view of Salzburg and its Christmas decorations. There are countless market stalls, plus a colorful entertainment program will transform the courtyard of the medieval castle in a fascinating market that offers local crafts, great gift ideas and culinary delights. The kids will have to make straw stars, flowers of ice, angels, and many other items. Concerts of music and dance will be added to the party.
3) Advent in Hellbrunn Palace (Hellbrunner Adventzauber). A romantic courtyard, a path lined with torches, and an Advent Calendar of large size are part of the magic of Hellbrunn Advent. Children can take a walk in a sleigh pulled by reindeer.
4) The advent in the Mirabell Square (Weihnachtsmarkt Mirabell). The Christmas market situated in front of the Palace of Mirabell has become, in recent years, one of the most fascinating attractions for young and adults.
5) Christmas market at Sterngarten (Stern Advent Markt). A little pre-Christmas paradise is usually located between the buildings of Sterngarten between Getreidegasse and Griesgasse: the Advent market of “Stern”. You can admire traditional crafts, an attractive entertainment program also adds to the pre-Christmas spirit. The main feature of this market is that the revenues are donated to the poor people.
6) Advent Market in St. Leonhard (Adventmarkt St. Leonhard). Traditional Advent market, with local arts and crafts, and fascinating gift ideas. Romantic market with sleigh, crib with animals, and so on.