The imperial city of Potsdam is located on the outskirts of Berlin and can be an interesting excursion for anyone visiting the German capital. Potsdam’s royal palaces and parks have been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1990. Potsdam hosts 5 different Christmas markets (Potsdamer Weihnachtsmarktes).
POTSDAM CHRISTMAS MARKET
1) Blauer Lichterglanz Christmas Market (Blauer Lichterglanz in der historischen Innenstadt). This market takes place in the historic city center of Potsdam in the central Luisenplatz. The market is complemented by the shops, cafés and restaurants of the centre, and there is also a large outdoor ice skating rink.
2) Romantic Christmas Market at Krongut Bornstedt (Royal Estate of Bornstedt) (Romantisches Weihnachtsdorf auf dem Krongut Bornstedt). The former imperial Prussian country residence, now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, built in the likeness of an Italian agricultural village, hosts a historic Christmas market with ceramics, glass objects, Christmas decorations and other typical Christmas objects . Other attractions are the Children’s Train and the 1893 Steam Train.
3) Bohemian Christmas Market (Böhmischer Weihnachtsmarkt auf dem Weberplatz in Babelsberg). This market is held in the historic Weberviertel district of Babelsberg on the Weberplatz in front of the Friedrichskirche church.
4) Sinterklaas Christmas Market (Nikolaus im Hollandhaus – Holländisches Sinterklaas-Fest im Holländischen Viertel). This market is held in the Dutch quarter and is dedicated to Santa Claus (Sinterklaas in Dutch), the market offers music, crafts and culinary specialties.
5) Sternmarkt Christmas Market (Sternenmarkt – Polnischer Adventsmarkt auf dem Kutschstallhof am Neuen Markt). This market is held in the historical complex of the Kutschstall Court on the Neuer Markt square, here works of Polish craftsmanship and Polish gastronomic specialties are presented. The New Market is one of the best preserved Baroque squares in Europe.