Cologne (Köln), is a historic city in Germany, an ancient Roman colony known since 50 AD with the name of Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium, from which it derives its current name. The city developed in the Middle Ages when it became one of the most important cities in the Holy Roman Empire.
Due to its strategic position at the center of important trade routes, the city grew more and more. In the thirteenth century Cologne became part of the Hanseatic League and then in the fifteenth it became a Free Imperial City. Largely destroyed during the Second World War, it was rebuilt according to the old scheme, the city retains a majestic cathedral, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
COLOGNE CHRISTMAS MARKETS
Dates of the Christmas Market 2016:
21 November – 23 December 2016
Cologne has several Christmas markets, which are part of the Kölner Weihnachtsmärkte. Exhibition of cribs, concerts and countless gift ideas for all tastes complete the Cologne Christmas.
1) Christmas market at Cologne Cathedral (Weihnachtsmarkt am Dom). This market is the most beautiful Christmas markets in Cologne, it takes place in Cathedral Square, the market is made up of 160 wooden chalets, it’s an exhibition of small works of art and craft where you can enjoy delicacies.
Opening: 21 November – 23 December 2016. Opening Hours: Sunday to Wednesday from 11.00 to 21.00. On Thursday and Friday from 11.00 to 22.00. On Saturday from 10.00 to 22.00.
Organizers: KW Kölner Weihnachtsgesellschaft mbH – Tel. +49 (0)2171. 399 19 22 · firstname.lastname@example.org
2) Alter Markt Christmas Market – Cologne Old Town “Home of the Elves” (Weihnachtsmarkt auf dem Alter Markt – Weihnachtsmarkt Kölner Altstadt – Kölner Altstadt „Heimat der Heinzel“). This market offers everything for the children and a spectacular ice skating rink.
Opening: 21 November – 23 December 2016. Opening Hours: Every day from 11.00 to 22.00. Ice rink: 21.11.2016 – 08.01.2017. Days off: 24 & 25 Dec 2016.
Organizers: Heinzel GmbH – Tel. +49 (0)221. 955 64 54 69. email@example.com
3) Neumarkt Christmas Market (Weihnachtsmarkt auf dem Neumarkt – Markt der Engel). It ‘s the oldest market in the city, known as the Markt der Engel (Market of the Angels).
Opening: 21 November – 23 December 2016. Opening Hours: Sunday to Thursday from 11.00 to 21.00. On Friday and Saturday from 11.00 to 22.00.
Organizers: CityProjekt Veranstaltungs GmbH – Tel. +49 (0)221. 25 28 69 · firstname.lastname@example.org
4) Rudolfplatz Christmas Market (Weihnachtsmarkt auf dem Rudolfplatz – Nikolausdorf auf dem Rudolfplatz). The “St. Nicholas’ Village” will be staged on Rudolfplatz in the city centre. Situated in front of the historic Hahnentorburg gate, the magical Christmas world offers an entirely new and unique world of experiences.
Opening: 21 November – 23 December 2016.Opening Hours: Sunday to Thursday from 11.00 to 21.00. Friday from 11.00 to 22.00. On Saturday from 10.00 to 22.00.
Organizers: Rico von der Gathen – Tel. +49 (0)2208. 500 19 94 · email@example.com
5) Christmas Market at the Port of Cologne Chocolate Museum (Hafen-Weihnachtsmarkt). It is a Christmas market in maritime atmosphere, located in a picturesque setting on the banks of the Rhine, there are over 70 stalls with quality products and a program of great diversity.
Opening: 18 November – 23 December 2016. Closed on 20 November 2016. Opening Hours: Sunday to Thursday from 11.00 to 21.00. On Friday and Saturday from 11.00 to 22.00.
Organizers: eventleute GmbH – Tel. +49 (0)221. 310 18 87 · firstname.lastname@example.org
6) Stadtgarten Christmas Market (Weihnachtsmarkt im Stadtgarten). The most recent of the Christmas markets in Cologne, takes place on the basis of the city garden.
Opening: 21 November – 23 December 2016. Opening Hours: Monday to Friday from 16.00 to 21.30. On Saturdays and Sundays from 12.00 to 21.30.
Organizers: Stadtgarten Restaurant Betriebs GmbH – Tel. +49 (0)221. 95 29 94 21 · email@example.com
7) Christmas Avenue on Schaafenstraße (Christmas Avenue an der Schaafenstraße – Schwul-lesbischer Weihnachtsmarkt). It’s the other kind of a Christmas market! Colognes gay and lesbian Christmas market is located in the centre of the “scene-quarter” Bermuda Triangle near the Rudolfplatz. The market offers quality products, culinary delights and especially cabaret and shows in a sparkling and atmospheric ambient. Everyone is welcome to celebrate the wonderful Christmastime together.
Opening: 21 November – 23 December 2016. Opening Hours: Monday to Friday from 12.00 to 22.00, Saturday to Sunday from 12.00 to 23.00.